Frequently Asked Question
From 2021.1 software release the Ethernet connectivity is updated with proprietary multi user/multi-HIL networking capability. There is no need to use additional third party software like remote desktop or USB over network software. Check Device Manager documentation for more details.
HIL 402 and 603 devices have a single Ethernet connection. For these devices, real-time communication protocols (Ethernet Variable Exchange and IEC 61850 Sampled Values protocol) cannot be used when connecting to the HIL device over Ethernet. In this case you must continue using USB connection along with third party solutions that enable remote access. We are summarizing our users' successful experiences that allow you remote access:
- The most straightforward way for controlling HIL device is to use some remote desktop control solution. This is done by connecting PC server directly to HIL device, and remotely control this PC by client PC. We highly recommend using Teamviewer for this purpose, but you can use any alternative software solutions as Microsoft Remote Desktop assistant or Ultra VNC remote access. Advantage of this approach is simplicity and good performances. Drawback is that you will need to have two PCs. Also, depending on your company firewall policy this may not be allowed.
- The second approach is to use some USB over network solutions. In this case you will have host PC which will be connected to HIL device over USB. This host PC will share its USB connection over the Ethernet to client PC which can be in LAN, or somewhere on the Internet. The advantage of this solution compared to remote desktop is that Typhoon HIL Control Center can be run from the client PC so there can be another user using host PC's applications without interruption. Here is the list of the verified programs, but other similar applications should work:
- Eltima USB over Ethernet Sharing Software: https://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet
- VirtualHere: https://www.virtualhere.com/home
- FabulaTech - USB over Network: https://www.fabulatech.com
- In case you do not have free PC to serve as a host, you can use Raspberry Pi as a ETH bridge. VirtualHere is software solution that also support multiple OS platforms including Raspian.
It is worth mentioning that this list represents collection of feedback from our customers. Some of them we tried internally, but from 2021.1 Typhoon officially supports only its proprietary remote networking solution.